Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Asia trip update #4

WOW, the past two days have been busy.  Sorry to those of you who were expecting an e-mail sooner and to those sending hate mail through other people, you know who you are..  :)

Anyways, right now it's Tuesday night where we are.  I'll roll back to Sunday afternoon for the start of the update.

Sunday evening we went to worship with the 'locals'.  It was a good time to get to see where everyone had come from and to hear a little bit about them.  We had a time of songs and a focused time of prayer.  After that we all went to a local Chinese restaurant.  At this point there were the 12 of our team, plus 4 of the 'locals'.  That equates to a lot of noise from American's and some interesting ordering.  After that it was off to the hotel and some sleep.

Monday was as all of the other days have been as far as the morning time.  In the lobby at 730a, off to breakfast, then distribution until around 12p.  We distributed only 250 packets.  There really weren't many 'tourists' that we were targeting, so that made our distribution hard.  We had lunch at another Chinese restaurant, where I continued my learning of the chop sticks.  We had some Dim Sum dishes.  For those that know me, you know I'm a VERY picky eater.  The stuff that was ordered was WAY out of my comfort zone, but I gave most of it at least one try.  Attached are some of the pictures..

After lunch we came back to the hotel for a few minutes then went to a buddist temple.  I have never been in one until now.  There was lots of incense burning and people worshiping this fake god.  It was pretty sad.  People who think they have to do this 'stuff' to send stuff to the after life for their loved ones and to get good things while they are here.  Bottom line it was just sad.

After that we went to a tower here in this city.  It is has the highest bungie jump drop in the world.  The platform that you jump from is 61 stories in the air.  We got a video of someone going off of it, it was CRAZY.  We got some really great pictures from up there, you could see a lot of stuff.  Luckily the weather was good, so the haze wasn't bad, as it had been previously.  Casey was talking trash about jumping, but when I offered to pay the $150US, he backed down.  I was seriously willing to put up the $$, if he was willing to do it.

For dinner we went to a strip mall type area that had, what we thought would be an American diner.  It was an American diner, but the burgers didn't have the taste that some of the members of our team exactly were looking for.  It had some type of garlic powder and a little bit of worstishire sauce.  But the garlic powder was a little over powering, so it made it interesting.  I personally thought it was pretty good, but I was out numbered in that ideology.

After dinner we went to another Casino to look around.  They had a magnificent chandelier in their foyer.  Then back to the hotel.  By this time we were VERY tired and we had to walk a pretty good way back to a bus to take us to the hotel. 

Tuesday....

Meeting in the lobby as always at 730a headed to breakfast and then to distribution.  Today we distributed 630 packets.  It was a pretty good day.

Lunch was at a little sandwich shop that opened up just for us that the 'locals' had setup for us.  The owner went to the culinary school in New York, so it was really good...

After lunch we walked through a nice garden.  It was kind of out of the way and very peaceful.  Then we went to a K-12 school to talk to the students.  I was in a class with Eric and thankfully he is a people person.  He carried the load of the talking and I filled in some gaps.  There was a Q&A session, but the kids didn't ask us any questions so it was done.  We then went down to the play area while the other teams finished their talks.  It was great to see Eric and Josh playing with the kids.  Needless to say I was snapping pictures like crazy.  I got a few of some very cute kiddies...

Next we went to a 'locals' house on the 30th floor of an apartment complex.  It was nice and had a GREAT view.  Next the 'local' took us to her husbands place of business.  It was really good to see the facility and the nice things that they are doing for the community.

For dinner we set out to go to a local italian restaurant, but they were closed.  So we ended up at Pizza Hut.  Now Pizza Hut is good, but this one was DECKED OUT.  It was VERY nice...  After dinner we hit starbucks, then back to base camp.

That concludes all I can say for today...  Until tomorrow...

Have a wonderful day!!!

~J



--
..GO and make disciples of all the nations... (Matthew 28:19a) - Who am I to argue with that?

No comments: