Thursday, July 10, 2008

Fuel/Energy usage

With energy prices at an all time high, I have noticed that I have started changing the way I do certain things.

Last weekend my wife and I along with a group of friends went camping. We had a great time of fellowship with one another and enjoying God's wonderful creation. However, due to where we were going, it required us to take some type of covered trailer to put our food in while we weren't cooking or eating (due to bears). I pondered what I was going to do and ended up borrowing a trailer from my father, as well as his pickup truck. As the trip got closer, I was trying to figure out how I could cut back on the amount of energy (gas) that we were going to use for this trip. Now my Jeep wouldn't pull the trailer we were planning on taking, so I was running the numbers to see if we could have possibly taken a rented U-Haul trailer and it end up being cheaper. My estimated numbers came back at about the same, so we ended up just taking the two vehicles. However the truck didn't use as much gas as I thought that it would, so it worked out A-Ok.

Something else that I have been doing to try to cut back on energy used is changing all of my light bulbs to be compact florescent. They aren't cheap, but they do cut down on heat that is generated, therefore the AC unit doesn't have to run as much, and thereby using less energy all the way around. I have also tried lately to make a conscious effort to turn lights off that aren't being used (if no one is in the room). This is a slight mind shift for me as I have previously not worried about it.

Also because of rising costs it has had a trickle effect all the way down to the grocery store. I haven't done much grocery shopping in a few months and I about fell out in the floor when Des and I were shopping for our camping trip. Who'd a thought that milk would be $6/gal!?!? (at least I think it was 6/gal, it might have been 5/gal - either way, that's rough)

Anyways, I'm curious, what have you done that you wouldn't normally do because or soring energy prices??

Leave a comment and share you mind...

Have a great day!!

~J
--
..GO and make disciples of all the nations... (Matthew 28:19a) - Who am I to argue with that?

No comments: